Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Beijing Diary: Kroaaaakkkk... cuh.

"I'm going to Beijing."

"..Why?"

I was frowned upon by basically everyone whom I told I was going to Beijing for holiday. China is not a popular destination, Triggered by (mostly) bad stereotypes, I am determined to see this country by myself. So here's my thought on few things:

you have to see this yourself

Country
You can't go anywhere in Beijing without the government knowing. Boasting 5000 years of culture, as well as the fact that every corner in Beijing is monitored. The country is not shy about stalking its people. You'll encounter many things like this:

everytime before entering subway

Note that you cannot enter many museums or tourist places without scanning your ID (this applies to everyone including locals), so bring your passport everywhere. Welcome to China, welcome to 1984.

People
Chinese people was rude, they say. The volume of people expectorating doesn't help the image. But after I went there, I sincerely think Beijingers don't deserve the notoriety. You just have to speak their language. And yes, please prepare yourself some basic Chinese because nearly zero people speak English.

Of course I've encountered many rude Chinese but I'm pretty sure they're from somewhere else but Beijing (mostly they came with a tour guide). I went to many tourist places alone, so I ask some locals to help me taking picture of myself. Every time I said 'thank you', all of them have this attitude of "NO, you don't have to thank me for that." They also complete it with a very polite body language. So yeah, they're far better than my expectation.

yours truly in Forbidden City

They are just like people in a big city, glued to their phone. You will see many people watching movies on their phone in the subway.

What makes me happiest is I didn't encounter any harasser or catcaller of all nine days I was there. I took public transport everywhere and trapped with rush hour crowd in subways. Never feel threatened once. Good job CPC.

Food
Ordering a chow mein in Beijing is like ordering flat white in Italy, it is nonexistent. Forget about everything you think you know about Chinese food. Have you heard anybody likes Chinese food after they went back to their country? Neither do I.

Except the Peking Duck, it's extraordinary. The same feeling of eating sushi in Japan, or so I guess. Please go to BeiPingLou (北平樓) around Mudanyuan station to enjoy it. I was surprised when they give out many complimentary food along the way. We ordered one whole duck but they gave us soup, sesame bun and stuffing and longans like this:

good stuff
The service was also exceptional. Look how well I praised this place. While in Indonesia, "complimentary" stuffs are mostly traps. Never touch them.


Tourist
China is a breeding machine. I think it's safe to say that 95% of tourist in Beijing are Chinese. On my first day, I thought it was going to be easy finding foreigners who speak English. I finally managed to do so after 100 tries. Most western looking people I met on the street speaks Chinese. Haha ha.

Hoomans
I came in spring just before peak season, so it wasn't too cold or hot. Flowers are starting to bloom so yeah, really nice.

Cherry blossoms

What I was really scarred of before I went there is the infamous toilet. But to be honest, I've encountered many worse toilets around Southeast Asia. Compared to them, Chinese toilets are:
yea right

And below is one of my favorite place in Beijing, make sure to visit here by day because they turn to pole dancing galore by afternoon.

ShiChaHai - walk in the park
Culture
I thought China was this:



But actually China is this:

This:
cash me ousside howbow da

And this:
medium size pizza. more like monstrous size.
Expect grandness in China. They do it huge, or they do nothing.


Tech
China is a country from the future. The fact that they rarely use cash is not surprising, but how they do it is amazing. From H&M to nameless fried chicken stall on the street, you can pay them through one of the biggest app in the country, WeChat. The said app is very powerful in terms of user base and connectivity. I don't think anybody is abstain from using WeChat in Beijing. They connect everything in WeChat: social media, communication system, dictionary, transportation on-demand, fintech, and God-knows-what.

You can also easily spot uprising start-ups like Mobike, Ofo, Bluegogo on the street. The bike renting stuff is very popular among locals. I guess the reason is because it is very convenient to subscribe to one. The bikes are very stylish as well. Pay deposit, get any bike you see on the street, scan the QR code, pay per hour, scan when you're done and leave it wherever you want.

Another thing that really stands out for me (because I don't know who else is doing it) is the digital advertising on subway. They project it from the moving train to the wall like this:

the blue thing outside of the window

Some apps that will do you great in China are: Pleco, Baidu Maps, Beijing Subway and at least 2 VPNs. A good VPN is a VPN that nobody talks about. Government is watching so do your research and paying small money for your FOMO wouldn't hurt, really.

Now sitting in my room listening to Sway by cehryl, throws me back to those nights i roamed Wudaokou with a mojito in my hand. Feeling the cold dry air that smells like luncheon meat goes down shivering in my spine. Never I thought I'd miss Beijing.

1 comment :

  1. may i know what type of camera you took pictures from? by the way i like the way you manage your blog since long ago :)

    ReplyDelete